My Photo
Name:
Location: Antarctica

AKA: Rassputin, Hamilkar, Tecumsehh

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

MORE OF-LESS OF #2!




More Of: Freshly Baked Bread

Mmm...delicious.

Less Of: Quentin Tarantino Movies

I really don't understand why Tarantino is popular recently. He makes HORRIBLE movies. Now, I can understand why the rabble might enjoy his films: grotesque violence, almost no plot, and David Mamet style dialogue (aka. lots of pointless profanity that goes nowhere). What I don't understand is that relatively intelligent people that I agree with on most other things seem to, not just tolerate, but love his movies. You'd think he was an emperor wearing invisibile clothes. Why don't people see that these movies are horrible?

To be fair, cinematically, Tarantino movies are superb. Yet, I doubt that's why people watch them. In any case, good camera work doesn't make up for stupid everything else. All form and no substance
Also, to be fair, Pulp Fiction was a well constructed plotline. Unfortunantly, this movie is basically unwatchable. Except for the occasional great scene (Samuel Jackson quoting from the bible, John Travolta dancing, "If any of you f*uckers move, I'll execute every motherf*cking last one of you," etc. are all classic) most of the movie is slow and/or painful to watch.
Every other one of his movies, however, seem to be missing a plot. Why Kill Bill needed two volumes is beyond me. This all brings me to my main criticism: in case you haven't noticed all of Tarantino's movies are INCREDIBLY slow. To make up for a lack of a cohesive plot, Tarantino just throws in pointless violence. Sometimes I think it's the other way around; it's a series of violent images with some plot thrown in.

By the way, since Tarantino is SO popular, he has even gone so far as to add the tagline "Presented by Quentin Tarantino" in some of his friends movies. Hostel (which from what I've heard is another terrible movie) for example had this line. This is despite the fact that Tarantino had almost nothing to do with the movie. Once it was produced he bankrolled it for production so that he could be one of three producers. Thus, we get "Presented by Quentin Tarantino." Sounds like a lot of BS to me. Another example is Sin City, in which Tarantino appears as a "guest director." Apparently you can be a "guest director" if you direct one car chase scene. What, the actual directors (yes, there were two others) couldn't handle this one scene? They had to pass it on to Tarantino? I guess Tarantino is so popular that the makers of Sin City thought they could get more people to come if they put his name on it. Well, I hope I'm not the only one who was less interested.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Godfather said...

I hated Pulp Fiction too. Complete garbage is what that movie is.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home